Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It's Like Forgetting Sarah Marshall 2: Rock Star Edition

Even though Jonah Hill's character provided no forward movement to the story, his awkward scenes with Russell Brand's rock-star BF of Sarah Marshall provided enough inspiration for a new movie. With Brand playing essentially the same character. And Hill being Seth Rogen Jr.
"Forgetting Sarah Marshall" helmer Nick Stoller is reteaming with Judd Apatow and Universal Pictures for the comedy "Get Him to the Greek," with Jonah Hill and Russell Brand attached to star.

Stoller has been tapped to write and direct the laffer, which centers on a fresh-out-of-college insurance adjuster (Hill) who is hired to accompany an out-of-control rock star (Brand) from London to a gig at L.A.'s Greek Theater.
Get the whole story at Variety.

So what does this mean for us, the viewers? Well, it's pretty clear that a new "Golden Age" of comedy is upon us, with Judd Apatow leading the charge. I missed out on Drillbit Taylor and Walk Hard, but I have to say, I like what I've seen otherwise. Forty Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad, and ...Sarah Marshall were all amusing and worth my movie ticket, and I've seen all of them more than once. 

My worry for "Get Him to the Greek" is that the problems with Sarah Marshall will be heightened. Jonah Hill was totally wasted and useless in the movie, and I don't know how excited I am to see Brand play exactly the same character. I mean, Brand was one of the highest points of Marshall, but I feel like after a whole movie of him being the sex-obsessed rock star (which evidently isn't too far from the truth) I might want to see him move on. Why not have Brand play the straight man in a comedy? Obviously his timing and delivery is great. But maybe he's too space-y. Whatever. I'll probably see it on opening day. Begrudgingly. 

(The story was also reported at CHUD, but I spotted it at Variety. Choose your evil.)

-RoboNixon

No comments: