Thursday, April 10, 2008

I Punk'd Myself



I was driving home from RoboGirlfriend's house a few weeks ago, my iPod on, unable to find anything to listen to. It's an
iPod Mini, and since I got it (from RoboGirlfriend) I've been pretty thorough in my maintenance of the music on it. If I listen to something too frequently, I to replace it with something I haven't heard in a while. If I never listen to an artist or a set of tracks on the iPod, I remove it. I thought I knew the contents of my iPod through and through.

Until I skipped to the next song.

It was "Fingerbangin'" by Sweetheart Sweatheart.

I could not turn it off.

It was hypnotizing. The song is alternately catchy and horrifying, funny and sophomoric. I could not believe that not only had someone written the song -- enough reason to commit them, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest-style, to a psychiatric ward -- but they took the time to convince their friends to join in, and then record the song. I mean, theoretically someone spent at least two hours on this!  Two hours! That's like an afternoon!

And even more confusing is I have no idea how the song got on my computer, much less my iPod. Yeah, sometimes I'll download music (mostly from here, here, and here) and not listen to it for a while, but I pay attention to what I put on my iPod. Usually I listen to a snippet of the songs I'm putting on, so I can make sure it's the song I intend it to be.

So how this got onto my iPod without me ever hearing it is a mystery. And now, like a disease, I can not shake it.

I don't know if I shared this with you because I like you or hate you. It's probably both.

-RoboNixon

No comments: