Monday, April 28, 2008

BSG Goodness

io9 has a good little piece on who Baltar actually is. Here's a hint: it's not Jesus, and rhymes with "Broseph Thmith." 

I have to say, they bring up some good points. It also ties into one of my theories -- that, possibly, the original Battlestar Galactica series exists in the same universe as the revamp. That's right, you heard me.

You see, the original series is loosely based on Mormon mythology/ideology. Which would make sense, then, that Baltar is Broseph Thmith.

Key in this belief is the repetition of the idea that "this has happened before and will happen again." 

So, my thinking, especially in light of this information, is that the original Battlestar Galactica series happened thousands upon thousands of years earlier in the same universe. They got to Earth, lived there (either in our past or future), then when they went off into space again, the cycle repeated. This also might help explain the "origin" of the Final Five... as well as possible hints as to what to expect for the rest of the season.

But then again, I could be wrong. I'm just waiting for them to explain "All Along the Watchtower."

Discuss.

-RoboNixon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This episode--and the questions it raised without any answers--was nowhere near as entertaining as last week's Lost or the questions that episode raised.

There. I said it. And you know it's true. That's why you didn't review the episode and simply chose to focus on the whiny, muddling, psuedo-religion Gaius is expounding.

And Jesus or Smith? Don't really care. All I care about is the physical manifestation of Head-Six. She appeared once before--first season? As the reporter?--but then Moore did....nothing...with that. Now it's back. So, is he a cylon or are we talking actual religious who-doo voodoo here?

For him to be a cylon would be distressing, as the show last year spent so long showing that he had to be human. For him to be cylon would allow an easy out of atonement and forgiving himself. Of course, I also think this whole religion nonsense is an easy way out of atonement and forgiving himself, too.

Blah blah blah. I liked last week's episode much better even though I knew exactly where it was going.

RoboNixon said...

I do think last week's LOST was superior to last week's BSG, don't get me wrong. But LOST is a comic book, and BSG is a TV show, so I treat them in different way. I also think the overall consistency of BSG is higher than that of LOST. But that's neither here nor there.

Both episodes gave us great character moments and intriguing beats. Ben's look when he realizes they just brain'd his daughter tells us more about his character than nearly anything from him since we met him. BSG had Chief's Great Freakout '08. Realizing that his whole life has been based on a lie, on circumstance -- that he HATED Cally -- was so stunning, so sad, and so insightful into his mind and his arc as a character that it too ranks as one of the show's great character beats.

I don't think Baltar is a cylon btw, especially not after the AWESOME moment where Angel Six THROWS HIM at the Marine. As much as they speak about God, He is notably absent from personal Cylon interaction. I'm with a friend of mine, who thinks that Angel Six is God. Baltar's a man.

But yes, LOST was totally rocksome last week. In large part, I think, to a Strike abbreviated season. I think we're going to be seeing action packed episodes for the rest of the season as they try to stuff the rest of the season's arc into fewer-than-planned episodes.

-RoboNixon