Friday, May 16, 2008

They Aren't So Lost Anymore... Right?

"There's No Place Like Home"

A few things before I begin. 

1) This episode was awesome, even though it causes the viewer to suffer from a serious case of TV-Blue-Balls. 

2) The preview for the 2 hour finale looks like some serious shit is going to happen, which also makes me giddy.

3) BSG and LOST can now comfortably exist in cross-over land together (more on this later).

I'm not super into summarizing the episode -- you can get that from the link above, or more in depth from Lostpedia -- but I wanted to share some thoughts. Let's begin with Flashforwards.

The opening is fantastic, and, I think, something we've been waiting for since Oceanic 815 crashed onto the Island. The mood of these post-Island scenes is very different than what we've seen post-Island before, due, I think, to a sense of relief on behalf of the characters -- before shit gets bad again. Also, the Oceanic Six's minder, Karen Decker, is played by Admiral Caine from BSG herself, Michelle Forbes.

(I loved the momentum in this episode; now that rescue is so close, the Losties loyalty to each other -- to getting everyone off the Island -- is paramount. The urgency was pronounced and visceral. They are GETTING. OFF. THE ISLAND.)

Also, I love how one of the pilots clings to his lucky charm, like having the Oceanic Six on board is some sort of terrible terrible curse... That maybe bad-luck clings to them like underaged girls to Rob Lowe in 80's sex-tapes. 

And finally they land and the moment where they step onto Non-Island land, and their families are there (except for Kate's) was... magical. I especially loved Hurley dragging Sayid over to meet his family. And it's nice to know that Jack was not birthed from an egg but rather a woman who is his mother.

Oh God, there's so much I love in this episode and I want to keep it short. OK, what else -- The presentation by Decker on how the Six survived was also great and, I think, not entirely crazy -- it kind of made a smidge of sense and if we hadn't been watching what actually happened for four seasons, I might, you know, think maybe they were telling the truth. Like Jack said earlier, "They'll just think we're in shock." 

"Jack," Sun replies, "We are in shock."

Sun telling her father that she owns a controlling interest in her company, and that he's essentially responsible for Jin's death (along with another unnamed party... dun Dun DUN!) and he can go fuck himself, she's in charge. Great to see her character change, from pre-to-post Island. And I loved the look on his face when he realizes that, yeah... maybe he is completely terrible.

Thought that the stuff w/Cheech (ie. Hurley's Dad) bringing him to the car they had always wanted to fix up together -- now pristine -- was really touching. In fact, I thought so much of what happened in these flash-forwards was touching that it kind of pains me to know that something wicked this way comes. Also: Island themed party? Hurley on his mom: Yeah, she just doesn't get it. Fantastic.

I also thought that Matthew Fox was GREAT in the scene after his father's memorial service, where Claire's mom comes to tell him that his sister was on the plane... and named Claire. We, the audience, know what's up, but he just fucking loses it. When he turns to Kate and Aaron after Claire's mom leaves, the look on his face... such complete and utter devastation... was worth its weight in gold.

Also, I'm super bummed out that Sayid gets the shaft... because in pretty much every moment of this flash-forward... he's happy. Happy with Nadia. Happy at the party. Happy to be off that godforsaken Island. But we know where it all leads him... right back to Ben...

OK, to the ISLAND stuff.

Alright, an ass-load happens, and there's a lot of confusion and back-and-forth, so I won't cover it like I covered the flash-forwards (and let's not play games -- they were the highlight of the episode). But I liked it. I liked it a lot.

I like how leave-no-man behind is so real for them now that rescue is so close. When Daniel flips through his book, sees the drawing of the Orchid, and turns to Charlotte: "We need to get off this island NOW," I was stoked. Lots of running back and forth in the jungle, lots of explosives on the boat -- possibly connected to Keamy's weird arm-thingie? -- and Michael being reintroduced to everyone else... just, so much! So much! I loved every second.

Especially Ben surrendering. "How many times do I need to tell you? I always have a plan." I'm pretty excited to see what's inside the station... and what it does.

Ugh. So two weeks before we get the rest. But let me state, that not only am I super excited, but this could prove to be the most bad-ass season finale that Lost has yet had (which is tough because Seasons 2 and 3 were also bad-ass). 

Stay tuned, guys 'n gals. We're in for a bumpy ride.

(thanks to Lostpedia for pictures)

-RoboNixon

1 comment:

RoboNixon said...

As a follow up, check out io9's views on last night's episode.

http://io9.com/391290/lost-the-beginning-of-the-end++of-season-4-anyway